Disclaimer

A Collection of E-mails from Elder Denton - Blog Compiled and Maintained by Gelynn Denton

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Week 2 - True Ice

Hej everybody!                                                                                                          September 14, 2017

     Since almost everyone on our floor is going to Nordic Countries, we have developed some interesting traditions. For instance, the Swedes have decided that the 25th of this month will be Christmas, and the Nords have designated every single Thursday Christmas Day. Last I heard, they were buying things like chastity pamphlets and baking soda from the book store and gifting them to each other, meanwhile any packages with food that arrive on Thursdays are "Christmas Miracles". 
     Another one of these traditions is called "True Ice". There are pictures on the floor of the building with our classrooms of missionaries lining the walls. A few of them present different baptisms that were performed in the winter where there was apparently no font available. So instead, members had sawed through the four foot ice (sort of like in ice fishing) to make a font  in the water which was probably only a degree away from being ice. So in case this happens to us, we want to be prepared. That means every morning that we shower, we use the coldest setting. I'll admit, I don't do that every morning, but I have been doing it and it is COLD. 10 out of 10 would not recommend. 
     We got new "investigators" this week. Just to explain real quick, all the investigators we are teaching are role playing, but they are using real stories of investigators they actually taught. So my companion and I are teaching "Brandon" who is a 21 year old native Swede and heard about the church through watching South Park. So that should be fun! Another companionship is teaching "Hanif". I'll put a picture with what his name looks like in Farsi, but he is from Iran. We are also teaching someone named Misha from Bangladesh. What I'm getting from this activity is that we are going to be teaching a lot of different kinds of people from many different backgrounds... and I am SO EXCITED. 
      Yesterday we were able to be hosts for arriving missionaries. Essentially what that means is you carry their luggage and be the guy to take a picture of their family before the Elder or Sister is ripped from their parent's arms. Haha, no it's not like that I promise. I tried to be really nice. We show them to their room and then take them to their class all while trying to help them feel welcomed. It was really fun! Except one Elder I hosted had three suitcases, and one of them was definitely over fifty pounds. I could tell because it had a tag from his airline which said "overweight". Also because my little arms were STRUGGLING. There's no elevators in most of the buildings here so I'm glad I made it :)
      We also got to do this thing called TRC. It's where we teach Swedish speaking volunteers who are not role playing. Most of the time, they are members of the church, so it's like two on one Sunday School or something. It was wonderful. We taught a nice lady named Hannah who served in Sweden, and then we went to the other room and taught her husband. They will be visiting Stockholm in October which is when we get there so they said if we are in Stockholm that they would take us to dinner :) We taught about be worthy of The Holy Ghost and following His promptings to do good. 
      On Tuesday Elder Patrick Kearon came to our devotional. He is in the presidency of the seventy and he's British. I LOVED his talk. He talked about not worrying, just working. He also shared that our service is never taken for granted, even if it sometimes feels that way. That every tear and every drop of sweat given in service to God is counted. That goes for everyone. Not just missionaries. As Isaiah put it, He has graven us in the palms of his hands. The scars He has are a reminder to us of the love He has for each of us. He doesn't forget us, even if everyone else does. That's the beautiful message of The Good Shepherd. He knows His sheep and is aware of them through joy or pain.  
      I appreciate every letter I get from everyone! Thank you. Often hearing about something you might think is boring makes my week. Please send pictures. I would love to hear from anyone that wants to send me an email. Please know I read and love every email, even if I don't always have time to respond. 

I love you all! 
Elder Denton

                                                     Our first district temple trip.


There are more pictures to come but they would not upload correctly. Will fix later on.

How to spell "Hanif" in Farsi.


One of our teachers: Brother Beck.


Missionary cockpit. 


Missionaries I don't know studying. (Creeper pic.)


We got reassigned. Just kidding, it's a mural in the new buildings. 


This Elder Slaughter. He and I are working on an arrangement of "How Great Thou Art".


Shout-out to the Bringhursts for my favorite pair of socks.


My district leader Elder Beckman praying.


Push-up contest on the residence halls. 


Elder Ahonen doing his weekly vlog in Finnish.


Elder Hansen is always eating fruit. ​









No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweden, Stockholm - Return Missionary Reunion Camp Out

Sweden, Stockholm - Return Missionary Reunion Camp Out September 6 & 7, 2019  Carter's been home 3 weeks