Disclaimer

A Collection of E-mails from Elder Denton - Blog Compiled and Maintained by Gelynn Denton

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Week 1 - Fight On

Hej everybody!

     This week feels like it's been a lifetime, but at the same time, I can't believe it's already been a week! Life is different here and you have do without a lot of things, but every day you start to miss those things less and less. 
     I love my district. There are 19 elders and sisters going to Sweden, 10 are in my district. We have four sisters and six elders. One of our elders is from Finland. He's twenty-one. He came all the way here for the next couple weeks just to go back to Sweden. He's pretty good with the language so far, but Finish is completely different than like every other language ever so it's not helping him much. The poor Finnish missionaries have to stay here nine weeks to figure out that language. On the floor of our residence hall we have missionaries heading to Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Finland, Belgium/Netherlands, Holland, and we had one missionary going to Mongolia, but he left on Monday. We're all in the same branch and there's about 60-70 of us. Everyone is really cool. Our zone leaders are the elders going to Iceland (or the Icies). There are only six elders in Iceland right now and they are the only ones here. Their language is ridiculous and they will also be here nine weeks. Swedes, Nords, Dutchies, and Danes are only here six, so I will be leaving mid October for Sweden.
      For those of you who know Carter Williams, AJ Barrot, or Isaac Sanders, I have seen them all here and they look like they're doing great! I know Cameron Dey came in yesterday, but I haven't seen him yet. I'm sure I will though! 
      My companions name is Elder Dumas (pronounced Doo-miss). He's nineteen turning twenty this month. I'm senior companion for now but we switch in two weeks hahaha. He's sooo chill. He is really humble and is a hard worker. He is a certified welder and used to have hair something like Shawn White before he came (I hope spelled that right). I love him and we are getting along great.
      We have been teaching almost every day since our third day here in Swedish. yesterday we committed our "investigator" to baptism. Honestly we were just so excited we knew enough Swedish to get her to the point that she understood what we wanted from us. The word for "to be baptized" and "to do drugs" is only subtly different. We had to practice a lot so that we weren't asking her "Will you commit to do drugs next month?" Hahaha, you never know, maybe she is still confused about that! Hopefully not XD. Swedish is coming along great though. I'm amazed at what I can do in a week. The Savior is truly helping us to learn. 
      On Tuesday this week Elder Oaks came and gave a devotional. I was impressed by the simplicity of his message and his apparent love and understanding for and of us. It was super neat. I was singing in the choir for that devotional so we got to be in the same room as him. I testify that he is an Apostle to Jesus Christ. 
     Some thoughts I have had this week: when Jesus said it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of God, I don't he was talking about an actual needle. The Eye of the Needle is the name of the smallest passage through the walls of Jerusalem. It was often used by single travelers. In order for the camel and his rider to get through, the camel would have to be stripped of any packs and bags to fit. Then, preceded by its master, the camel would have to kneel and crawl through without being able to see anything but its master's feet. Only then would they be able to enter the holy city of Jerusalem. This applies to many things, but it specifically applied to me this week. In order to serve a mission, I have had to strip myself of the baggage that would make it impossible to properly serve. That includes my own life at home, my pride, my doubts, and many more of my actual physical possessions. Only then can I have the power of God with me in preaching His word. I have felt that power already. I testify that it is greater than my own. 
      Anyways, I love you all! I sent some pictures of my companion and I, my district, a panting of the sons of Mosiah in the new facilities, and my tag with the Swedish flag in the background :) Let me know if there's anything you want to here about and I'll try to stick it in next week! 

Love,
Elder Denton 
(No, that's not how you say it in Swedish, but I can't make those characters with this keyboard...)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweden, Stockholm - Return Missionary Reunion Camp Out

Sweden, Stockholm - Return Missionary Reunion Camp Out September 6 & 7, 2019  Carter's been home 3 weeks