Disclaimer

A Collection of E-mails from Elder Denton - Blog Compiled and Maintained by Gelynn Denton

Friday, December 8, 2017

Week 12 - and they told me they don't celebrate Thanksgiving

  Okay, just want to clear up any confusion before I tell you how
awesome the members in Sundsvall are. They don't celebrate
Thanksgiving in Sweden. It's an American holiday celebrating American
pilgrims. By the time it's getting close to Thanksgiving, people are
already decorating for jul (yule), or Christmas, and counting the days
until advent starts (December 1). That being said, the missionaries
here were able to eat THREE thanksgiving meals over the last week and
a half. The members do everything they can to make us feel at home
here.
      I'm really pretty pampered in this area. The people are nice,
they talk slow and are easy to understand, we have a big branch with
about 100 active members, our companionship has a car, we get fed
every week at least once but sometimes three or four times, and
there's always work to be done. We even have weekly meetings with our
mission leader (and we actually have a mission leader to begin with),
we meet in a nice chapel... Heck, our apartment even has heated floors
and a dishwasher. Really there's nothing wrong with this area. Some
branches have fifteen members and meet in the basement of a dentist
office. The work can be really slow in some areas, and unless it's
Christmas, getting fed is pretty unlikely. Some areas down south have
people that speak very quickly or with hard to understand dialects
that even native Swedes have a hard time understanding. Also, cars are
rare here in Sweden if your not a Zone Leader or an Assistant. Mostly
it's just bus cards. I have no idea why I was assigned in such a sweet
area. Any missionary that tries their best can have some form of
success here. However, even among so many comforts and privileges, I
have been tried here, and the lessons I'm learning I think are very
applicable to life back home.
      An awesome seminary teacher I had when I was in tenth grade,
Brother Laga, told me something I'll never forget and which is
replaying in my head every day I serve in this choice area. He said
something like this, "God gives people hardship and trials to humble
his people and to test their faith, but after they start to get it, He
prospers them, and that's when the real trial of their faith starts."
I had never thought of that before, but it's so true. So many times in
the scriptures, God's people are led by faith and lean on every word
He gives them because they have nowhere else to turn. They are
afflicted with bondage and they look to Him to be freed. Then after
they obey and they are able to bear their burdens with ease or they
are relieved from their burdens completely, life becomes much easier
for them. Their burdens might be gone, but the trial of their faith
continues, and it's in those critical years of prosperity that many
fall away. It reminds me of the story with the ten lepers. After
seeking diligently the Lord and having the faith to be healed, all ten
lepers went away and rejoiced in their new found health, but only one
returned soberly and fell at Jesus' feet in gratitude. That's been my
goal here. I want to be the one. I want to live in gratitude for my
many blessings by working and being faithful to God in my prosperity.
     I think this lesson is valuable for anyone that lives in
prosperity. I serve in a country where the comforts of life abound.
Everyone has what they need from what I've seen. It's a very secure
place as well, at least up here in Sundsvall. People don't have much
to worry about or to complain about, except for maybe the cold. Not
surprisingly from what the scriptures teach, an overwhelming majority
of people here profess no religion. And yet even amidst so much
comfort, I wouldn't say they're all happy. It's very normal for people
to feel like something is missing from their life and very many people
hire counselors to help them find happiness. I see so many longing for
happiness looking for it the comforts and securities surrounding them.
It's very frustrating and it makes me want to scream "Hey! Wake up! I
can help you have what you're looking for!" It reminds me of what
Nephi saw our day. I believe his words match perfectly Satan's
tactics.

"20 For behold, at that day shall he rage in the hearts of the
children of men, and stir them up to anger against that which is good.

21 And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security,
that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is
well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away
carefully down to hell.

22 And behold, others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no
hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none—and
thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful
chains, from whence there is no deliverance.

23 Yea, they are grasped with death, and hell; and death, and hell,
and the devil, and all that have been seized therewith must stand
before the throne of God, and be judged according to their works, from
whence they must go into the place prepared for them, even a lake of
fire and brimstone, which is endless torment.

24 Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!

25 Wo be unto him that crieth: All is well!

26 Yea, wo be unto him that hearkeneth unto the precepts of men, and
denieth the power of God, and the gift of the Holy Ghost!

27 Yea, wo be unto him that saith: We have received, and we need no more!"

     I find it so interesting that Nephi describes Satan as whispering
and lulling. He even flatters them. It's not easy to recognize the
Lord's voice. It takes daily practice and obedience. A saint does not
become a sinner in a day. It happens most often that I see because of
negligence to follow the simple and plain principles set forth by the
Savior: of faith unto repentance, renewing of covenants, and enduring,
or remaining faithful to the end... even in our prosperity. Those who
choose comfort rather than growth are cheating their souls.
     I want to challenge you all to be the one leper that returns to
the Savior in sincere gratitude. Never let comfort, security, and
prosperity become chains that bind you and cheat your souls. Live a
life of progress and of devotion instead of laziness and fear. Of
honor and duty over pleasure and selfishness. I promise, you will find
peace in this life and eternal life in the world to come by building
on the rock of faith in Jesus Christ unto repentance, making and
renewing covenants, and enduring with faith, hope, and charity. You
will find purpose in your pain by following these steps and will learn
to relish every aspect of life, even the uncomfortable, the risky, and
trying times. Follow the Savior through whatever fire he leads you
through and know that He is making you stronger. Understand that he so
much more concerned with your progress than your comfort.
     Ha ha wow that was really long. Since it's not always appropriate
to scream to the people to wake up here, I guess I had to get some of
it out on you guys.
      I love you all and hope you have a great week!
      Äldste Denton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweden, Stockholm - Return Missionary Reunion Camp Out

Sweden, Stockholm - Return Missionary Reunion Camp Out September 6 & 7, 2019  Carter's been home 3 weeks