Disclaimer

A Collection of E-mails from Elder Denton - Blog Compiled and Maintained by Gelynn Denton

Monday, January 8, 2018

Week 18 - Lame Snow "Storm" and My Swedish Grandparents

Week 18 - Lame Snow "Storm" and My Swedish Grandparents

Hey Everyone,

      First, my Swedish grandparents. As far as I know, we're not related, but Garth and Kristina are still my grandparents. They are the nicest and are always feeding us and talking our ears off. They are investigators and they say they really believe God has sent us to them. My new companion and I went swung by their house the other day and I was super excited to introduce them to Elder McCarl. We knock on their door and Garth asks "who is it?" through the door like always. Then he checks through the window just to make sure before letting us in and giving us both hugs. Then Elder McCarl pulls out a smart phone with a pink case and asks if it's theirs. It was Kristina's that she had apparently dropped. I didn't even realize Elder McCarl picked it up, but it was another testimony builder to them that we were heaven sent since we saved Kirstina's phone from freezing in the snow. Then we talked about the Book of Mormon. They were planning before Christmas to leave for Spain in January until March or April or something. Long story short, Kristina hurt her back just bad enough that they won't be able to go but not bad enough that she's in too much pain. But then they said that meant we could come by whenever, which is actually really great news. We are going to invite them to be baptized. 
      Okay and then the lame "storm". Yesterday in church they announced church would be ending an hour early so that we could travel home in time to be safe from this massive storm that was coming. I was pumped. I love storms. Snow storms especially. If this was the worst storm yet this winter, I could only imagine how good it was going to be. Not only that, but the mission president told the missionaries in Sundsvall and Örnsköldsvik I think to go home right after church and stay there. I was so excited to just watch the snow fly with a cup of hot chocolate and a Book of Mormon, so I get everything ready and wait... Not much action, so I start organizing some stuff and cleaning to pass the time... Nothing... The sun has been down for a few hours now and it's like 5... I see the stars outside.. no clouds... It's a little windy and that's it... It stays like that all night... So disappointing! If there's one thing I've learned from life, it's not to trust a storm warning. Well okay, if there's one thing I've learned, it's to follow the Spirit, but if I could pick two things I learned, the second would be not to trust a storm warning.  
    
Yes, Elder Cook is a district leader in Vendelsö near Stockholm now. My new companion
Äldste McCarl is cool. I think we're going to get along fine :) New approach for finding investigators is successful for sure, but usually not at getting investigators. What it does better though is gets people to open up and be honest with us an they usually have a really positive experience even if they're not interested to learn more.  Also, we're allowed to do family history here and there's resources I can only use while in Sweden so that is super cool. I am going to learn to use those to see if we have any Swedish blood in us.

Love you all and have a great week!
      Äldste Denton



                                                    My new companion and I.


 One day of being a trio in between transfers. Getting that three for two deal on sushi though...


                                                    How bright I wish it was at 3:30 P.M.



                                                   How bright it actually is at 3:30 P.M.


                                                   Last pic mirror selfie with Elder Cook.



 Elder Cook finally graduated from Sundsvall. Last moments in the apartment with his famous Jesus wall in the background.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweden, Stockholm - Return Missionary Reunion Camp Out

Sweden, Stockholm - Return Missionary Reunion Camp Out September 6 & 7, 2019  Carter's been home 3 weeks