Disclaimer

A Collection of E-mails from Elder Denton - Blog Compiled and Maintained by Gelynn Denton

Monday, January 29, 2018

Week 20 - Nice Surprise


Week 20 - Nice Surprise


Helllooo you wonderful people.

Life is good here in Sundsvall. I am really starting to notice how much brighter it's getting. To steal a line from David Archuleta, "it's glorious". Yesterday in sacrament meeting the sun came shining in and made me have soo much energy, even though it was gone by the end of church. It has started to feel like days again instead of just one long night. I can't describe how exciting it is to realize that winter ends, but I can try. They celebrate this holiday here in April I think in honor of winter ending. PEOPLE LITERALLY LIGHT GIANT BONFIRES ALL OVER THE CITIES TO CELEBRATE. Needless, to say, spring is pretty awesome, and it's just around the cor-... wait no... sorry, getting ahead of myself here... it's in like two and a half months ðŸ˜­ On the real though, winter here is beautiful. Especially when it gets to be below 0 F and you get freezing fog... that is so beautiful... You can see it glitter in the street lights, and when you wake up, everything is covered in a thick layer of frost. Also, there's this creepy mist that hangs out over the now totally frozen bay when it gets that cold, and that is magical. 

Top story for this week started out looking like a pretty empty day actually. We had one lesson and nothing else, which pretty much means lots of tracting and contacting people in town. I was not that excited honestly, but we went contacting in the morning anyways. There weren't very many people in town, and no one was interested and we came back for lunch. While my fingers were warming up I decided to read some out of one of my favorite books which I cannot recommend enough: "Adjusting to Missionary Life". (I bet you thought I was going to say the Book of Mormon. That is my other favorite book that I can't recommend enough) I read in the part about feeling discouraged. There was this advice that really helped me out when I read it. It told me to give myself extra credit for doing the things I wasn't excited about instead of being critical of myself for not enjoying it. That was really good advice. Then my companion could tell I was discouraged and told me about the patience that missionaries in the scriptures needed, and that some of the best missionaries in history were rejected and thrown in prison and that you can't control what people decide about us and our message. That was also really good advice and I was feeling a lot better now, which was good since we had a whole afternoon of tracting still. Then I have this idea to go to the church so we can do our companionship study finishing this broadcast we started earlier and so that we could come up with a really creative tracting plan. Turns out there's this party at the church where they're celebrating the 20th day of Christmas where the kids eat candy and dance away Christmas. (I love Swedish holidays 😂) Turns out at this party there's like a family of non-members. Turns out they were really interested in us and told us to come by sometime! Then we talked for like 40 minutes to the grandma and her sister and they told me if I come back to Sweden after my mission to give them a call and they would find me a Swedish wife... haha but the point is they were super nice and we had no idea this party existed and we ended up finding a family out of it! I really believe that we were led by the Spirit to find them. 

Hope you all have a great week!
Love,
Äldste Denton

                                                Snowed in...



                                        Creative finding techniques. 



                                                "It's Hard to be Elvis in Uppsala"







                                               ​We're gonna get big one day. I can feel it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweden, Stockholm - Return Missionary Reunion Camp Out

Sweden, Stockholm - Return Missionary Reunion Camp Out September 6 & 7, 2019  Carter's been home 3 weeks